I'm sorry, but I can't help being very frustrated and more than a little pissed off about the current trend everyone seems to be following to stop all discretionary spending "because of the economy." Now, I can understand if your income has ceased or has been drastically reduced, but I'm talking about people who's jobs aren't threatened, haven't lost their life savings, and are basically financially stable. Don't they realize they're just adding to the problem? This really pisses me off. Its like, every time I turn around some magazine has an article about 101 ways you can save $$ and # 3 on the list is always, "push out your hair appointments another couple of weeks. And while you're at it, buy cheap shampoo." Does anyone stop to consider what impact that has on my business as a hairdresser? Of course the list goes on and on, and everyone who it affects ends up suffering. Its called the trickle down effect, stupid! So now we hairdressers (and others) don't have discretionary income so we have to forgo (insert trickle-down business/service of choice) so they lose business, and on and on like that. What a great way to jump start the economy.
Get a hold of yourself for crying out loud. You are not going to starve to death!
Monday, March 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Amen sister! Even though I don't have a full-time job, I'm sorry, I still work enough to pay to get my hair done and I won't give that up. I still tip the same too. If I can cut costs, say, at a huge corporation, like an electronics store, or a supermarket, I will. But with the people like my stylist? NO WAY! I also still get one massage a month for my fibro. I wish I could get more. People are like sheep, or lemmings, and they panic very easily.
I mean, I want a MacBook Pro, but I don't have almost $3000 for one now. So I won't get that. But I'm not going to start eating cat food either. Great blog!
i can barely afford food right now. times are tough for us. i'm only working part-time hours and am barely able to pay the bills.
i hope things get better for you soon. hugz
I'm in the position you describe and have curbed my spending. You see, with the way things are i could very well lose my job in the upcoming months. I have to prepare for that. I know i'll be taking at least a 10% pay cut and have to adjust my spending accordingly. This cycle will go on for ages, until the "market correction" everyone keeps talking about happens.
I still buy groceries, just not name brands if i can help it. I rarely get my hair cut, so no hardship there. But my mortgage, property taxes and all utilities have shot up in the last 6 months (and still going up). How am i supposed to pay for non-essentials when my income is going to decline?
That's why i'm curbing my spending. A day could come soon where i'm trying to find a job that will just break even and i won't have to live off my savings. I've already lost around 60% of my retirement as things stand today.
I have no problem with cutting back. I find it irresponsible not to. We blow too much money in this country for shit we don't need. I dumped at least 10 huge plastic bags' worth of crap at Goodwill and got rid of a lot of other things i don't need and will never use. I wish i had the money i spent on the stuff instead of the stuff.
There, i've justified myself.
OK that was really selfish of me, wasn't it? I guess no one really knows what the other person faces financially, do we? There was a specific example that spurred the rant, which I won't bother going into right now. And who knows, maybe that person is suffering too, I just don't see it. Oh well. Just chalk it up to whining ~
btw I'd be lying if I said I wasn't also cutting back. I hate conspicuous consumption even more than I hate unnecessary frugality.
I'll take my fifty lashings now ~
It's ok Sandy. Like you said, each case is different.
Post a Comment