Monday, April 06, 2009

two places at once

The Church tour dates were finally announced. Why am I not excited?

Well for one thing, I seem to be more and more ambivalent about music these days, for some unknown reason. Maybe I'm depressed or something. Anyway, The Church just released two EPs and an album, and I haven't bothered downloading any of it. I'm sure there'll be some good stuff there, I just don't seem to care. I figure I'll hear it soon enough.

I have mixed feelings about seeing them, too. It can be such a mixed bag. True, there are moments, entire shows even, that are absolutely, transcendentally gorgeous. But they can also be painfully awkward and off, as SK himself will attest to. Definitely makes it advantageous to hedge one's bets by seeing more than one show on any given tour.

Then there are the venues. I hate Slims, so I won't go see them in SF which is only an hour away. I was considering LA, and the Roxy is cool, but Staci won't be there and neither will Denise by the looks of it. And now that I think about it, I can't imagine how Veleska would make it either. So why bother.

So, here are my choices for this year: Bruce wants to go to Wrigley Field before they tear it down, so we thought we could combine that and a Church show into a long weekend in Chicago. I could see my friend Rachel, who should be at the show. We could also meet up with Vic and some other friends which would be fun. We could maybe even squeeze in a museum while we're there. The downside is I hate HOB almost as much as I hate Slims. Plus it will most likely be hot, humid, intimidating, and expensive. But The Church seem to like Chicago, and its usually a pretty high energy show.

On the opposite end of the spectrum would be the Belly Up in Solana Beach, an awesome venue in a sweet little beach town. Solana Beach is easy and relaxing. The Belly Up is about as intimate as you can get. I would likely get to meet Bill, and who knows who else. Maybe some of the southerners would be there. On the negative side, its the kickoff of the US tour, so the band could be jet lagged and/or rusty. The venue is arguably more suitable to an acoustic show, and apparently they'll be playing full-on electric. They would no doubt be working out their technical (sound) issues. Solana Beach is a 10 hr drive away, and the concert is on a week night. I'd have to take a few days off work. On the other hand, it would certainly be cheaper than going to Chicago.

Really, going to both places would be the best of both worlds. But work logistics would be really tough. Chicago does seem the most likely at this point. But right now it all seems more like a chore than a vacation in the works.

5 comments:

veleska1970 said...

i'm disappointed with the tour locations. i was really hoping they would come to texas, but they aren't, and i'm too broke to go anywhere. and, with a baby on the way, all the money i have i need to hold onto.

so unfortunately, no traveling for me.

Anonymous said...

Man, this is turning into a nightmare. We were all so excited at the prospect of seeing each other and the band. WTF happened? The band isn't cooperating at all!

Solana Beach doesn't sound doable. I'm not even sure where it is. I'd have to fly in, find my way to Denise and then i assume we'd have to drive quite a distance. It would probably cost me more than Chicago (free airline ticket, free place to stay). Hell, maybe i'll try for Chicago, at least i can see Holly and maybe Sandy.

Queen Hatshepsut said...

Sandy, I could've written your blog. Except I'm not married to Bruce and am not going to Chicago. ; ) But I feel the same way you do about the Church's music and the tour. I honestly think I was just more excited at the prospect of say, seeing my friends than seeing the band. And you described their shows so perfectly! It's so often hit or miss.

Maybe I got my fill of them 3 years ago. I too can't afford to travel anywhere and can't stop work to do it. I don't know - could it be that I'm coming to the end of the road with the Church? Who knows. I've always struggled with depression so I know that's not it. I mean, I'm uninspired to drive an hour + to see them. That's SAD.

eek said...

Right now I'm excited about the shows, but I know I will veer wildly between excitement and apathy until the shows actually happen. I've seen them 10 times -- five times on the 2004 tour and five times on the 2006 tour. I enjoyed every single one (well, once I got there -- getting there sometimes was a challenge), even the ones that didn't go so well. I find I'm able to enjoy even the not so hot shows when I'm seeing several, so I'm going to try my best to see multiples this year as well.

I actually did spring for the album and two EPs, so hearing those is fueling my excitement. Plus Church tours are pretty much the only time I get away from home, so I figure once every two or three years I can make this work!

Where I'll find the money for this I'm not quite sure yet, but I'll manage somehow. I'm pretty sure I'll be staying in some pretty dismal hotels. I just don't want to not go and then find out a year or so down the road that this was their last tour. I wouldn't remember why I didn't go, I'd just remember that I didn't.

Queen Hatshepsut said...

Holly,

I was thinking the same thing - what if this is their last tour? What if I never get to see them again? That thought alone might be what it takes to get me off my butt to see them.