We all have weaknesses. Mine (one of them) is eating meat. As much as it disgusts me. Don't even bother telling me the reasons to quit - I know them all. I've tried all my adult life to quit, with zero degree of success. The most I have ever made it is around two weeks, at which time I turn into a raving, salivating carnivore, growling like a mad dog. Try putting a piece of meat in front of me then and see what happens. Its like my body has been starved and I suddenly have food in front of me. It ain't pretty.
When I deprive myself of meat I get physically weak. Tired all the time. Mentally dull (yes I know - but I mean duller than usual ~) Then when I get my "fix" for a few days, its like I just got a blood transfusion. I feel alive again. It's like the most horrible addiction. Sick, isn't it?
And don't talk to me about meat substitutes. And I know what they all are, too. Unless you've got some revelation for me. All the substitutes are temporary, and not good enough. Lentils, yes. Kale. Quinoa. Soy. Nuts. All the leafy greens, legumes of all sorts, tofu, tempeh etc etc. I eat these things all the time. They're a big part of my diet. And I do take an excellent vegi-based multivitimin, btw. But sooner or later the sickness gets to the point where I'm frothing at the mouth again, and I need the blood and guts. So I do it again. Weak.
On the other hand, I don't really get the vegan thing. I don't see the problem with eggs, milk, etc. as long as they're organic and produced in a humane manner. Yes, it is possible to find such things, easier as time goes on. Its popular now. Even big agri-business is jumping on the organic wagon. Of course I don't trust them so I buy locally. And fish, as long as its sustainably harvested. But it still ain't the same as the ole beef/chick/porky thing.
Ugh. I hate it.
Monday, April 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hello,
You posted a very nice comment at my blog, MadameBastet-firing-neurons - thanks. Also, you said you thought you knew me, but you don't. I feel like I might know you - are you Sandy? You live up north, have no children and you're a hair stylist? Did I meet you around 2002 at the Church show in San Juan Capistrano? I was with Cathy Weise...I'm Denise. Anyway, if you remember me, great. If not, disregard this....BTW I loved your post about eating meat. It's exactly how I feel!!! Anyway, if you're Sandy, feel free to contact me at Salonen@adelphia.net. Otherwise, have a great day!
I just wanted to let you know I was here checkin' out yer blog. While here I read the other comment and thought I'd add something.
I remember meeting both of you at that San Juan Capistrano show in 2002. What a great time, eh?
Daniel W.
Post a Comment