For the past six weeks I've been taking a web design class from ed2go, an online classroom. I just finished my first class and have signed up for the next one which starts in a couple weeks. At this point I haven't learned much about the design aspect, mostly the mechanics of building web pages using basic HTML. I've come to realize however, there are many ways to build websites without using HTML and I wonder what to think about the value of learning this as opposed to using some other program or service. I suppose it depends on what I want to do with it, right?
The answer to that is, I'm not really sure. My primary goal was to stimulate my brain, as its been far too long since I've challenged myself to learn anything really new. Another goal would be to participate in and eventually take over my quilt guild's website. I do need HTML to do this, so I guess that answers that question. I also have a couple half-baked ideas for websites of my own, personal and perhaps, eventually, business related. Initially I even thought that it may even lead to a small home-based business doing web design for folks too lazy/busy to do their own. That hope has been pretty much dashed by the fact that anybody with a computer can put together their own website much easier using above mentioned programs and/or services than I can, doing it the hard way. So much for the idea of making any $$ at this. Especially considering the fact that the further I get in to this, the more hoops I have to jump through and the more things (software, etc) I have to buy and learn.
For instance, I've already bought four domain names (it can be addicting once you start thinking of them) and got talked into one year of web hosting from GoDaddy for my "practice" website. So I'm into them for close to $70 for two domains and hosting, a bargain so I'm told. But I already spent $30 for the other two domains I got from another service provider earlier on, before I learned to shop around. Which I'll probably never use now anyway because I keep thinking of better ones. I'm learning patience is essential, and it doesn't pay to be fickle in this business.
So now I'm ready to launch my hokey little website, such as it is. Apparently I need an FTP client, sort of a go-between to upload my files to the host. So far I've had good luck with Fetch which is geared to the mac, but after a 15-day trial it will cost me $25. So I look around online for something free and get FileZilla, but I can't figure out how to use it, even with help from GoDaddy tech support which is usually excellent but missed the mark on this one. Same problem with FireFTP which I couldn't even get past the log-in. Am I that dense?? Fuck. I'm beginning to think its worth the 25 bucks for Fetch. But how much am I going to use the thing?
I haven't even begun to add up the "creative" software I'm going to need in order to make a decent looking website. A photo editing program is essential. Photoshop Elements will probably cost me around a hundred bucks. But what about graphics? I guess I'll need something along the line of Adobe Illustrator. How much is that gonna ding me? Not to mention learning how to use it (spring more time and $ to take another class?)
So what started out almost as a lark that might lead to (vague to unknown) possibilities, this learning experience is turning into a real pain in the ass. An expensive pain in the ass at that. Geez. Maybe I should have just signed up for Conversational Spanish.
ps I just spent upwards of four hours on the computer and accomplished absolutely nothing, with the exception of writing this blog. What a waste of time. Oh well at least I got it off my chest.
Sunday, May 03, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I just discovered on-line tutorials. Now I can use FireFTP - yay! Next I need to find a deal on Photoshop ~ :-)
i need to take a computer course. while i'm pretty efficient at the basic stuff, i don't know about html and such. and the knowledge that i do have for things like adobe photoshop is outdated.
today's word: ackni. a new way to spell "acne".
photoshop is hysterically expensive. i use Paint Shop pro, for graphics and photos and scans. it's easy to use and enough for me. i've been doing this since 1996.
as for domains, why on earth do you need 6? well, if you decide to drop some, cos you have to pay each year, you can just let them slide and then you no longer pay.
there is free hosting on the web. Google has a nice hosting program you administrate online.
finding small jobs shouldn't be too hard, depends on your social/business circle. just keep in mind it's a horrible pain in the ass to work with non-technical people. no matter what you design, they always want it different, even after you've gotten their approval. and they want miracles, too bot. and it doesn't pay much. i'm doing a new one for a non-profit, charged a flat $100 cos i think it's a worthy cause.
just some suggestions.
Post a Comment