Friday, January 01, 2010

Happy New Year

My sister left this morning. I did a quick presto-change-o on the "guest" room and spent the rest of the day sewing. I don't know if I ever mentioned this, but I make quilts for wounded soldiers. I also solicit them from other members of my quilt guild, and a couple times a year I take them all up to the VA hospital in Palo Alto. Last month I delivered eighty quilts. I already have another half dozen collected for the next time I go. Today I put together this quilt top. My mother-in-law made the blocks, then I sewed them together and put the border on. Later I'll machine quilt it with a nice plaid flannel on the back, and it'll go to a veteran.

I really wish my sister and I had had more time together. I was working most of the time she and her husband were here, so we really didn't get to do that much. We did end up going wine tasting on Tues at a couple vineyards up in the Santa Cruz mountains with my brother and his wife, which was fun, and then Wednesday the four of us spent the day in San Juan Bautista (where the filmed much of the movie Vertigo, btw). We toured the mission, ate Mexican food, and rummaged through a bunch of antique shops. Last night I made enchiladas and margaritas (read: Mexican food overkill) and my sister whipped my ass in scrabble. Twice. But this morning all I could think about was all the other things I wanted to do with her but didn't have time. So I invited them to spend a couple more days with us on their way back up to Washington. Crazy, huh.

3 comments:

veleska1970 said...

oh, that is so wonderful that you make the quilts for the veterans!!! i don't think you've mentioned it before. i'm sure they are very much appreciated. :)

glad to hear you had some great quality time with your sister.

to answer your question in the comments, yes, i'm from new orleans. i'm a katrina evacuee. (well, actually a "survivor", because i went through the storm, i did not evacuate beforehand. ;) )

Queen Hatshepsut said...

I didn't know you made quilts for veterans - that is SO amazingly wonderful and kind. I'm sure they LOVE them. I adore quilts. I wish I had your talent; I can barely sew a button on a shirt.

That's just so cool. : D

Glad you had some good times with your sister! I often wish I had a sister. Hell, I often wish I had a brother. Haha. (I do, but he's not very attentive).

The quilt pictured looks lovely, BTW.

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

Grrr. Git some followers.